Developing Spatial Intelligence with Tetris

This weekend, I was helping my best friend move and as we were packing as many boxes onto a flatbed dolly as possible, I thought of Tetris. The three of us – all Tetris players in our youth (though not together… we’re from BC, Alberta and North Carolina) were incredibly adept at find little gaps to plug in with the right shaped box or ikea furniture piece.

I never played Tetris in school – well, I did, but not as a school-sanctioned activity! But I was crazy about playing Tetris on my Game Boy (ooh, so glad Nintendo changed the name of their portable gaming device to the gender-neutral DS)). My older sister loved Tetris too – so much so that she got her own Game Boy packed with Tetris for her next birthday – as well as my mom. I still love some good ole Tetris, and I have it for my DS and for my Wii. Don’t play it that often, but it’s a good standby. For my personal gaming now, I favour puzzle games and sudoku, mainly on my iPod touch. And MarioKart Wii.

I think that Tetris was huge in developing my generation’s spatial intelligence – our capacity to conceptualize and organize space. I think that this is especially significant for girls. I remember from social geography lectures that throughout the late 20th century, North American boys routinely outperformed girls in spatial aptitude tests – due to boys being given more free reign to venture (pun realized, not intended) out into the out of doors, while girls were much less encouraged or allowed to do so. Puzzle games like Tetris that help us develop our spatial aptitudes help to rectify this gender gap – or at least make us efficient movers!

Posted in: Uncategorized